The Hellenic Sports Research Institute aims at promoting sport sciences research and development, use of their results: collection, documentation and dissemination of information of scientific and technological interest on sport issues, education and application of scientific methods for the effective resolution of sport issues and for the professional training coaches.
To accomplish its mission, the Hellenic Sports Research Institute cooperates with the Departments of Science of Physical Education and Sport as well as other agencies. It can also collaborate with Organization or units of public legal entities.
The Following departments operate in the Hellenic Sports Research Institute.
• Sport Medicine
• Biochemistry of Exercise
• Exercise Physiology
• Histochemistry and Muscle Metabolism
• Sport Psychology
• Doping Control Laboratory
Sport Medicine Department
A. Clinical examination- Individual record
• Myoskeletal system check
• Somatometrical check (weight, height, percentage of body fat).
B. Diagnosis of sport injuries
• Instructions for cure-rehabilitation- return to training programs.
C. Sport medical evaluation.
• Enhancement of athletes health and additional support with
D. Cardiological check (first degree).
• Clinical examination
• Individual and family record
• Electrocardiogram rest and fatigue
• Ultrasound cardiogram
E. Isokinetic evaluation of muscle groups
Study and evaluation of the sports abilities-“sports technique” and
the force- velocity relation of the human kinematic system,using the
methods of dynamometry and three- dimentional kinematic analysis.
A. Force velocity abilities.
The influence of neuro-muscular abilities in sport performance, evaluating the force- velocity ability of the low exremeties by measuring the following parameters.
• Maximum,relative and explosive isometric force.
• Maximum isokinetic torque.
• Maximum frequency of stretch- sortening cycle of the muscle.
• Maximum vertical jump as an indicator of sports performance.
B. Evaluation of sports technique.
Analysis of sports technique of basic performance indicators during both training and competitions, with immediate feedback, to practitioners- the coach and/or athlete, based on models and optimization solutions.
Biochemistry of Exercise Department
A. Evaluation of Health and good metabolic condition
• Blood count parameters and blood Iron- ferritine.
• Blood Electrolytes and Urine chemical check
• Serum metabolites ( sugar, proteins and nitrogen, lipids,
• Enzymes and Hormones
• Immunological parameters
B. Metabolic capacities
• Anaerobic capacity(maximum LA, progress and threshold of the
• Acid bace balance ( blood gases parameters,O2/CO2,PH) aerobic-
C. Stress and fatigue factors.
• Fatigue enzymes and proteins
• Metabolic hormonal stress
• Oxidative stress.
Exercise Physiology department
Services provided :
A. Exercise Phsysiology laboratory
• Measurments of maximum and submaximum aerobic capacity.
• Definition of Anaerobic Threshold with respiratory and lactate
• Field and Laboratory(Wingate test)Anaerobic assessement.
• Evaluation of functional fatigue.
• Measurements of metabolic functional economy(eg .running economy etc).
B. Sports Nutrition Laboratory
• Assesment of individual Maximum,Recovery and Resting Metabolic Rate.
• Individual and team nutritional analysis and support.
• Instructions for obtaining optimal competive body weight.
• Pre competition, competition and post competition nutritional
• Pre competition, competition and recovery support with
• Enhancement of athletes<<positive health> with nutritional
C. Training Evaluation
Training suggestions based on the Ergophysiological and Nutri-
Departments of Histochemistry and Muscle Metabolism
A. Functional test of the Quadriceps muscle.
• Maximum Isometric voluntary Contraction- force(MIVCF
• Isometric fatigue tests continuous or intermittent.
• Contraction and relaxation time before and after the tests.
• Fatigue index.
B. Muscle Metabolic parameters of the Quadriceps muscle.
• Analyses in Muscle. ATP, Phosphocreatine,
G-6-P, G-1-P, F-6-P and Lactate.
• Enzymes: Glycogen phopshorylase and Synthetase.
• Evaluation of energy metabolism in muscle.
Sport Psychology Department
A. Psycho-diagnostic Evaluation,it includes
• Operational abilities (sight-hearing abilities)
• Psycho-physiological abilities
• Reaction time in all forms
• Senso-motor abilities
• Psychokinetic abilities
• Stress reaction
• Personality evaluation
• Evaluation of psychological fatigue limitations(stress stability)
• Evaluation of perceptive, cognitive and will
B. Counseling Treatment for Competition
C. Psychlogical preparation of psychoregulative methods.